Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Balance board blues.

At first, the Real Fitness Nerd got a little jazzed about thenew iJoy Balance Board. After all, who doesn't like a good stabilizer muscle exerciser, especially one that needlessly burns precious fossil fuels?

The I saw the price, $500! Seriously? Stabilizing should be just a tiny part of any workout, so is it really worth half a G-note? You can buy a balance board you don't need to plug in for a fraction of the price. The Indo Board, for example, is around $100 -- and it comes in pink!
Human Touch, the company that makes the iJoy, claims that the machine is "effortless exercise," which also cheeses me off. With a traditional balance board, if you don't do it with, you fall off. With the iJoy, you just stand there and jiggle. Seriously, if I wanted to do something effortless, I'd go see a Michael Bay movie.

Although I'm sure Steve is going to pipe in that sitting through Transformers 2 would take a lot of effort on his part.

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Transformers 2 was *awful*! I went to see it last night against my better judgement because my boyfriend said it was okay. Yeah, I need to start rethinking his taste in movies. It was very, very hard for me not to fall asleep at the end after about a good half hour of straight action (how many times can you explode something?) and most of the jokes aren't funny unless you're 15.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, it's cheaper than a Power Plate which sells for a couple grand.

    Anyway, there still isn't sufficient data that doing compound exercises on unstable surfaces helps much anyway. So if you're gonna do it, it might as well not cost you an arm and leg.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, is that Anna Erickson on that board?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Indo Boarding or Indoors Surfing is the good way to boost one’s athleticism by optimizing core strength and providing cardiovascular endurance. This workout demands dynamic bursts of energy needed to constantly pump the legs, upper body for peddling thus working on the all the muscles. It is a complete mind-body workout. It has many health benefits for upper and lower body.

    ReplyDelete