
The Real Fitness Nerd's good pal Joyce Cherrier turned us on to a study presented at the annual meeting of American College of Sports Medicine discussing the relief of back pain via exercise. From the Los Angeles Times:
In the study, 120 people were randomly assigned to one of four groups for 12 weeks: One did a strength-training program two days a week, one did it three days a week, and one did it four days a week. A control group did no exercise but participated in a two-week exercise familiarization program. Exercises in the program included bench presses, lat pull downs and leg presses.Much like Cherrier (and probably you), I've struggled with my back for years and I gotta say,
Those in the four-day-a-week program had the most reduction in pain -- 28% -- compared with 14% for those who exercised two days a week. The four-day group also reported having a better quality of life and less disability than those who exercised less. In addition, it showed the greatest strength gains. The control group showed insignificant change in all areas.
there's nothing like a hard 1.5 kilometers at the pool to release the pain.Although I think the real problem is that the whole human upright walking thing is overrated. You never heard Bear whine about his back on B.J. and the Bear. And whoever heard of an ape with an "impinged iliolumbar legiment," as I am currently cursed with?
If we all started using our hands to walk, maybe it would take the pressure off our spine. And I'm sure New Balance and Nike would be quick to roll out a whole line of "hand shoes," which would be one more cool thing we could all buy.
What a great idea.."Hand Shoes", they'll go great with my new Vibram FiveFingers,aka Monkey Shoes! Excuse me while I go shave my back..Thanks Denis!
ReplyDelete