Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Meat interviews meat.


When I noticed that "renegade" fitness trainer Jason Ferruggia featured an interview with Men's Fitness on his blog the other day, I thought, "Oh great, just what I want to read. A musclehead babbling arcanely about his muscular muscles."

But, as it turns out, Ferruggia is pretty switched on. He displayed an ability to explain his fitness stance intelligently, particularly when it comes to nutrition:

Nutrition was another thing I ignored in my early years. To achieve any kind of physique or performance goals, you have to eat properly. Back in the day, I didn’t eat anywhere near enough calories to build muscle. Later, I ate too many. Your body can only produce so much lean tissue so fast and if it requires 5,000 calories per day to do that, 10,000 is not going to lead to double the results. It will only make you fat.

Another mistake I fell prey to was the high protein scam. There is no way you need two grams of protein per pound of body weight to build muscle. Most skinny guys don’t even need one gram per pound. Over the last few years, I have cut my protein intake dramatically and have asked my clients to do the same. There have been no negatives whatsoever.

You should aim to get 0.6 to 0.8 grams of protein per pound daily. But that’s about all most guys will probably need. With all this said, I’m not against supplementing with protein if you can’t get the amount you need with whole foods.

I still don't want to go lift cows with him on weekends -- or whatever he does for kicks -- but I do give him credit. Check out the interview.

1 comment: