Thursday, April 30, 2009

Please bring me my wine.


The news media has a bad case of swine flu fever, so I'm not coming across the usual bevy of thrilling nutrition and fitness studies I usually share with you. Not that I'm complaining. In fact, I'm enjoying the flu coverage, especially this morning when the President of the United States of America took a cue from kindergarten teachers everywhere and told me to wash my hands and cover my mouth when I coughed. 

I can't wait for the next State of the Union Address, when Obama tells us to eat our vegetables and not to take cuts in line. 

Anyway, one non-flu related study did slip onto WebMD. Published in everyone's favorite epidemiology and community health journal, The Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health, this Dutch study shows that men who drink half a glass of wine a day live, on average, 5 years longer than teetotalers and 2.5 years longer than guys who drink more.

So that's really cool and all, but I can't help but wonder; who the hell drinks half a glass of wine a day? Where'd they find these guys? Maybe "half a glass" translates into something else in Dutch.

Either way, the evidence that a little alcohol does a body good keeps mounting, but if you're not into it, that's okay. Apparently, as long as you cover your mouth when you sneeze and wash your hands, you'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment