Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Kettlebells: Not just for olde worlde Russian strongmen anymore.



The Los Angeles Times ran a good review Monday of the various kettlebells on the market. 

Right now, you're doing one of two things. You're declaring, "Ah yes, kettlebells! The hot new fitness trend. I'd like to learn more about my choices" or you're muttering, "You mean those big goofy Acme weights that the Roadrunner would drop on Wile E. Coyote's head? They actually make those things?" 

The answer is yes and, frankly, I think the hype is a little silly. It's cool if you want to try a new way of working out, but I don't think it's going to offer you much you can't get from other weight workouts and my back hurts just looking at the way you gotta swing those things around. At the end of the day, resistance is resistance.

Regardless, I'm the Fitness Nerd and that means I'll probably buy some, although I am slightly worried I'll sprout a handlebar mustache and exchange my workout shorts for a Tarzan unitard.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry- Beachbody won't be overthrown by the kettlebell craze going on! The way I see it, the more options you have and the more variety, the more likely you are to keep working out and being healthy! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should definitely give it a try. I completed "Enter the Kettlebell" after 3 rounds of P90X... I must admit it was kind of hard at first to drop the crazy packed Horton schedule. But really after the first "program minimum" workout (10 min warm up + 12 min swings / active rest) I was hooked. I still use some of Tony's workouts for variety days though.
    If you take Mike French (one of Beachbody top coach) example: he swears by KB training. He actually spend much more time talking about how many swings he could get with his "bulldog" than which BB dvd he used :)

    ReplyDelete