
If you want to put off kicking the can as a long as possible, the best thing you can do is get out there and play a little game of kick the can. In other words, exercise doesn't just keep you fit and trim, it actually keeps your cells healthy.
Here's how it works. Your chromosomes have little (obviously) protective tips called telomeres. Each time a cell divides, these telomeres get shorter. When they get too short, which they do as you age, you become more susceptible to things like cancer and diabetes.
New research indicates that exercise increases production of telomere-stabilizing proteins that ward off cell death.
Researchers found that telomere length was related to activity level. People who engaged in the most exercise had telomeres of similar length to inactive people up to 10 years younger.Fancy, huh? Here's a more detailed explanation from WebMD. If you check out the article, you'll see that the research, which appears in the American Heart Association journal Circulation, can be combined with research about twins published last year to suggest that exercise even trumps genes when it comes to longevity.
So get out there and start exercising lots because... wait a minute... this just in...
Folks, a new study presented at the annual meeting of the Radiological Society of North America suggests that too much exercise can actually increase the risk of osteoarthritis.
The study involved men and women of healthy weight, without pain or other symptoms. Knee injuries were more common and more severe among those who engaged in the highest levels of physical activity, says Christoph Stehling, MD, of the University of California, San Francisco, and the University of Muenster, in Germany.Wait a minute! What good is living to 101-year-old when my knees don't work! First Miley Cyrus stops tweeting and now this! I just can't win!
Okay, I'm officially a nerd. I was reading that first article thinking that was just the coolest thing I've read all day. Haha.
ReplyDeleteAnd that second study involved people of *healthy weight*. I'm sure if they looked at obese people they'd see that they had a lot of problems with their knees because of having to carry around all that excess weight. So I guess the answer is to exercise moderately?
You are correct! A prize for screwdestiny!
ReplyDelete