Monday, December 21, 2009

New flash! Two wrongs actually do make a right!


I'm a little late posting today because I had a major ethical dilemma. I wasn't sure whether or not I was going to share this next bit o' nutrition science news with you, given it spits in the face of all that I find healthy, righteous and good.

But this is a news site. As you know, we offer the latest fitness and nutrition news in a completely unbiased, objective fashion, so it is my duty to report thusly.

A study in the December issue of Diabetes Care suggests that mixing artificial sweeteners and sugar can actually increase a body's feeling of "fullness," thanks to the increased secretion of a peptide called GLP-1.
To investigate further, Brown's team had 22 healthy normal-weight young people take two glucose challenge tests. These tests, which measure how well the body metabolizes glucose, require a person to drink a sugar-filled beverage after fasting for several hours.

Ten minutes before consuming the "glucose load," study participants drank either roughly two-thirds of a diet soda containing an artificial sweetener or the same amount of carbonated water.

In both cases, the increase in a person's blood glucose was the same. But the researchers did find that people secreted significantly more GLP-1 when they drank diet soda before the glucose challenge compared to when they drank carbonated water.
Someday in the future, researchers will figure out why this is good information. They may even come up with a sane solution for raising obesity rates that trumps such antiquated cures as "diet" and "exercise." But for now, this is the worst news, ever. As I write this, exactly 1432 overweight 7-11 customers are cutting their daily Diet Coke Super Big Gulps with real Coke -- or maybe Mountain Dew -- claiming this is the latest diet craze, thus bringing us one step closer to the end of days.

Hopefully, it's darkest before the dawn.

1 comment:

  1. *insert big eye roll* Can't they just agree that soda is freaking terrible and shouldn't be consumed anymore?

    ReplyDelete