Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Coffee and wine prolong your lifeline.


If you read this NBC article about alcohol and watch this CBS segment about coffee, you'll discover that if you drink the two in moderation, you can ward off everything from heart disease to cancer to dementia.

Lately, the scientific community has really cottoned on the benefits of these drinks. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they determine that a whiskey espresso cocktail can give you superpowers, including the ability to go back in time to warn college-age you that beer bonging at keggers and latte-fueled study sessions were what lead to that freshman fifteen you've never been able to burn off.

But then again, that would be consuming caffeine and alcohol to warn yourself against the evils of caffeine and alcohol, which would create a rift in the time-space continuum.

But I digress. (Too much coffee this morning). The point of these studies is that people who drink these drinks tend to live longer. With this in mind, I've often wondered if the consumption is the panacea, or is it the fact that the people who relax with a cup o' joe in the morning and a glass of wine after work tend to be more laid back in general and therefore have a longer life expectancy.

It's a classic quandry. Which came first, the bean or the coffee? The grape or the wine? the foam or the cappuchino? The barley or the beer?

(I could do this all day, so you might as well stop reading now.)

2 comments:

  1. I found this post by googling (googleing?)whatever- time space continuum. well ok that's not true but I think I might agree with your theory of the laid back thing. Although doesn't the ampage from the coffee sort of cancel out the cocktailedness of the drink? What's great is we're encouraged to continue both. That makes me happy, which will probably contribute to my lifespan. Perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was really funny. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete