Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Fit.

With Christmas approaching, the British Department of Health is suggesting a new holiday tradition for all the Queen's Subjects. Go for a walk. From BBC News:

The Department of Health, which has teamed up with the Ramblers charity to promote Christmas Day walking, said a stroll of just one mile could make a difference.

Public health minister Gillian Merron said: "Whatever the weather, a traditional festive walk is a great way for families and friends to avoid that sluggish feeling and have a more active Christmas.

"Being more physically active can make a real difference to your health - taking that extra walk is something we can all enjoy as a family."

It's a little sad when a government is compelled to offer this kind of no-brainer advice. Only slightly sadder was their recent campaign, "Stop shooting yourself in the forehead with a staple gun."

A Christmas stroll is a forgone conclusion chez moi. My dog Bruce doesn't care who was born on December 25th, be it Jesus Christ or Rin Tin Tin; he's getting his constitutional (or Brucestitutional, as we call it) either way. And, of course, you don't need to limit yourself to walks. Before the birth of my daughter, a Christmas Day surf was a must-do, especially considering how few people paddle out that day. Now, however, I'd rather hang out with her, but I make a point of having something physical-activity-inducing under the tree. I'll probably spend a bigger part of this Christmas chasing a 5-year-old on a Razor, followed by an even bigger part of the day bandaging knees and elbows and explaining to her that she asked for the scooter, therefore she can't hold Santa liable for personal injury.

We'd like to hear what you do to stay active on the big day. How do you work off your ham and mashed potatoes?

2 comments:

  1. I personally dance around the living room doing sad, sad imitations of The Nutcracker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Until moving from Maui always surfed or windsurfed (depending on conditions of course) but now it's squeezing in a workout if I can. Kids usually have a new skateboard or bike which I have to test to make sure they both function properly. The day after though I always go for the monster session. Looking forward to that helps me enjoy Christmas day! Merry Christmas Denis!

    ReplyDelete