Monday, July 27, 2009

What's Aquaman going to wear now?


For the select few of you who don't follow competitive swimwear news, Speedo is miffed because swimming's governing body, FINA, has banned their super fancy LZR Racer bodysuits from swim competitions.

Speedo, which sponsors prominent teams such as the United States, Australia and Britain, accused FINA of making a rash decision that will ultimately harm the sport.

“As a forward thinking company that has invested millions in (research and development), we believe that technology—properly monitored and adhering to guidelines—does have a place in all sport,” the company said in a statement. “Any move which seems to take the sport back two decades—such as a possible return to the traditional female swimsuit and male jammer—is a retrograde step that could be detrimental to the future of swimming.”

Speedo’s suit was worn by most swimmers involved in more than 100 records set in 2008. Since then, polyurethane suits made by companies such as Jaked have surpassed the LZR, with nearly 30 more records falling this year. Finally, FINA decided to impose restrictions that supporters say are needed to maintain the integrity of the sport.

I'm not sure what they're going to do about those 100+ records now that the suits are banned, but I say good riddance. I understand that sports like football need high-tech gear because it prevents injury, but when someone shatters a new freestyle record in a zinged-up bodysuit, who's to say whether it's the suit or the swimmer setting the record?

Furthermore, a couple people at my local pool wear bodysuits and, IMHO, they look like absolute goobers. All that lycra and rubber makes it feel like I'm doing laps with the Justice League. Seriously, Wonder Woman, I don't care that you're swimming faster than Green Lantern. We're just exercising.

Actually, that analogy doesn't really work because Wonder Woman's costume shows way more flesh then an LZR Racer, but you get the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment