Thursday, July 30, 2009

Nuts to you, Mr. Congressman!


Given Steve has opened the floodgates of political commentary, I thought I might mention that the House defeated a food safety bill because, according to Oklahoma Rep. Frank Lucas, the top Republican on the House Agriculture Committee, it could "add burdens to many small businesses and farms across this country."

Really, Frank? Perhaps if your wife or child had been one of the people killed earlier this year by the bad-peanut induced Salmonella outbreak, you'd be singin' a different tune.

Here's why his argument is faulty. First, giant conglomerates are swallowing up small farmers anyway, so it's really the big businesses that will suffer. Second, people are dying. If I needed to choose between the livelihood of Farmer Jed or the life of five-year-old Suzy, I'm taking the kid's side.

Given the tangled web that is our food industry, the laws of economics no longer apply. If a farm sells tainted food, you can't stop buying their product because it's probably integrated into an impossibly untraceable array of foodstuffs. And if you stop eating anything containing that particular food -- say, peanuts -- it won't help because cashews will be next.

I'm not a fan of massive government intervention, but there's no other option.

Wow. I don't normally soapbox like this. It's kind of liberating.

5 comments:

  1. This is a good example of how government is both the problem and solution. Unfortunately, letting the personal ethic of "do the right thing" obviously isn't going to cut it. In fact, corporate structure--CEOs beholden to share holders--almost ensures that ethics not be a part of corporate strategy. It still happens but, when it occurs, it's because a business has taken a stance against the almight profit. This is precisely why we have a government at all.

    Mr. Larson should note that almost every food scare we've had has been traced back to a mega business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How come you guys are agreeing with me! I want someone to argue with me the way they argue with Steve! Kelly, what's up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just don't like people dying for stupid reasons either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, obviously, I'm viewed as the voice of reason here at The Real Fitness Nerd while Steve is regarded as a crack-pot lefty.

    Good to know.

    Did I mention they plan on TAXING PEANUTS?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well almonds are my nut of choice, so whatev. ;-)

    ReplyDelete