Friday, July 31, 2009

Organic food: 0


Unfortunately, life isn't as happy over in organic land, given a report commissioned by the Food Standards Industry in Britain claiming that there's no difference, nutritionally, between organic and conventional foods.

Among the 55 of 162 studies that were included in the final analysis, there were a small number of differences in nutrition between organic and conventionally produced food but not large enough to be of any public health relevance, said study leader Dr Alan Dangour.

Overall the report, which is published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found no differences in most nutrients in organically or conventionally grown crops, including in vitamin C, calcium, and iron.

The same was true for studies looking at meat, dairy and eggs.

Differences that were detected, for example in levels of nitrogen and phosphorus, were most likely to be due to differences in fertilizer use and ripeness at harvest and are unlikely to provide any health benefit, the report concluded.

So that's kind of a bummer, but I'm not giving up on organics yet. First, according to Michael Pollan in The Omnivore's Dilemma, there's a lot of research going on regarding polyphenols, sort of micro-micro nutrients that are potentially every bit as important as their bigger brothers and sisters, vitamins and minerals. Organics could potentially play an important role in providing polyphenols.

Second, as anyone who's had a strawberry from my local farmers market will tell you, organics often taste better.

And third, as a bachelor, I can tell ya that while Sensitive New Age Guys may be dated, the ladies dig a man who cooks them a meal with organic produce.

But then again, I'd make dinner out of live hyenas and gravel if I thought it would impress the right gal, so maybe that last one isn't so important.


4 comments:

  1. Well, I don't buy organic food because I think it's more nutritious. I buy it because I know it hasn't been sprayed or pumped with chemicals. I'm sure that's better for the body.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valid point. There's also the thing about being easier on the environment, which I was too busy being a smart ass to point out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. D Faye: "Being easier on the environment" is debateable. Some claim ("Omnivore's Dilemma" comes to mind) that organic production methods use more fossil fuels than conventional.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, yes, it's debatable, but that part in Omnivore's Dilemma, as I recall, was attacking mass production organic agriculture and the growing of baby greens, which I've always found to be absurd, like the veal of the vegetable world.

    When you approach it right, like Polyface Farmers or your own backyard, it's a different matter.

    ReplyDelete