Thursday, August 27, 2009

Tricycle Triathalons?

For you parents out there who feel Little League isn't competition enough for Junior, the New York Times ran an interesting article about the rise of Kid Triathlons.

Triathlons for children have become tremendously popular, drawing participants as young as 3 years old (who probably did not come up with the idea themselves). USA Triathlon, the sport’s governing body, said that in 2008 it had about 23,500 members who were under 18, up 36 percent from 2006. Adults, too, have been flocking to triathlons, and not without controversy: risks include dehydration, injury, heat exhaustion and even, occasionally, death. Doctors warn that people of all ages need to approach triathlons gingerly, lest they attempt more than their bodies can handle.

“At less than age 7, parents should be cautious,” said Dr. Kevin D. Plancher, an orthopedic surgeon who teaches at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx. “There’s not enough information for what these events can do to the growth plates in children’s shoulder, arms, pelvis, knees, ankles and feet.” He said that parents should consult a pediatrician to assess if a child is ready.

Hmmm. Me thinks the good doctor doth protest too much. Seriously, I can't count the amount of summer days I spent as a pipsqueak screwing around at the pool all day, then biking home and rounding out the evening with a high-stakes game of hide-and-seek.

On the other hand, I question the notion of childhood competition. I've been to a few such events and, yeah, they're cute as the dickens, but should kids be compelled to compete at such an early age? I mean, they have the rest of their lives to bust their tails going head-to-head for the brass ring. Why can't they have a few years to think bikes are for exploring and pools are for cannonballs?

I guess that's the American way. Either you sit on the couch eating Slim Jims, or you scratch and claw your way to the top. Middle ground? Who needs it!

Photo: Kevin Moloney for The New York Times

No comments:

Post a Comment