Friday, August 21, 2009

Big Mac or Big Carl? Either way, you'll get a Big Gut.


Peeved by McDonald's new Angus Burger, Carl's Jr retaliated Wednesday by launching the Big Carl, a burger designed with the sole purpose of belittling the venerable Big Mac. Apparently, Carl and his Junior are bitter because they feel they pioneered the idea of making burgers from Angus beef when they rolled out the "Six Dollar Burger."

So, I guess no one else is allowed to use high-grade meat but them. Seriously, how old are these people?

More important, does the world really need a new "double burger with cheese and Thousand Island-style sauce" checking in at 920 calories and 59 gram of fat, 23 grams of which are saturated? Come on guys, didn't anyone learn anything from Super Size Me?

5 comments:

  1. Ugh. Carl's Jr. is so disgusting. And I tried (a bite of) one of those new Angus burgers from McDonald's and they're still crap. I'm forever in love with the Whopper. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't eat these but I buy them for my dogs sometimes when we're on the road. As long as they just get meat and cheese they will usually eat them, but they have preferences. Jack in the Box is the worst. They won't eat their burgers unless they are very hungry. Carl's is next. They will eat from BK and McDs as long as there are no pickles and sauce, but they won't touch chicken or fish or anything else from those places. Given my dogs quite like most dog food--though they won't eat the cheap big brands that have lots of junk filler--I think this says a lot about what in fast food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite fast food facts; the recipe for scrambled eggs at Micky D's. Funny, at home I generally just use eggs:

    Pasteurized whole eggs with sodium acid pyrophosphate, citric acid and monosodium phosphate (added to preserve color), nisin (preservative). Prepared with Liquid Margarine: Liquid soybean oil, water, partially hydrogenated soybean oil, salt, hydrogenated cottonseed oil, soy lecithin, mono-and diglycerides, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate (preservatives), artificial flavor, citric acid, vitamin A palmitate, beta carotene (color).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve, Denis: did you ever watch "Fat Heads"? It's a low budget documentary in response to "Super Size Me". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgBLQIJEcbE
    I would be curious to hear what you have to say about it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just watched the trailer, so I shouldn't comment too much, but I've heard all those arguments before. If obesity rates aren't skyrocketing, why do studies continue to come out saying that they are? I'm guessing that Peter Jennings quote was taken out of context.

    And has that guy been outside lately? We're a fat country.

    As for the sat fat thing, I've never seen a study to back up what that trailer said -- and it conveniently skips over the massive amount of sodium in fast food.

    I could go on, but I should probably watch the whole doco first.

    ReplyDelete