Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Just the (nutrition) facts, Jack.


How do you know if you're a real fitness nerd? One sure sign is a first-class zeal for reading food labels. I've been known to lose hours in the grocery store poring over the cereal aisle nutrition facts like a monkey in a banana factory.

So it was with great relish (1 tbsp= 15 calories, 4g carbs, 105mgs sodium) that I checked out this cool time table at Fooducate outlining "A Brief History of Food and Nutritional Labeling." I had no idea of the sordid backstory leading up to the 1990 Nutrition Labeling and Education Act which, in turn, lead to the modern food label.

This is required reading for all nerds -- and if you're looking for extra credit, check out the Center for Science in the Public Interest's recent Food Label Makeovers Proposal. I'm often amazed at how people don't seem to understand this info is per serving, not per container. These proposals would clear that up, toot sweet.

And if you want to brown-nose the teacher, here's an article I wrote explaining how to read nutrition facts a few years ago.

2 comments:

  1. and here's another that I wrote:

    http://teambeachbody.com/about/newsletters/-/nli/110#19535

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete