
Just when we all thought America was on the road to fitness, a new study out of the Medical University of South Carolina shows that between 1988 and 2006, the amount of obese adults in our fair land has crept up by nearly one third.
The number of people who exercise three times a week fell from 53% to 43% and the amount of people eating five servings of fresh produce daily fell a whooping 40%.
According to the BBC:
I thought that when McDonald's ended super-sizing, we might have turned a corner. I guess not. But more importantly, I want to know why I found out about this study from the BBC -- the British Broadcasting Corporation. What is it with Europe and their lame schadenfreude when it comes to America's health issues? Just leave us alone and let us eat our Twinkies in peace!
Oh I love that you used the word
ReplyDeleteschadenfreude! This is now my favorite
post. :)
I just love how the writer goes out on a limb, saying all these stats "may" indicate a lack of preventative healthcare emphasis in America. You think?
ReplyDelete