Friday, February 12, 2010

Yet, shoveling saturated fat into your mouth gets the green light.


In another sad indication of our country's foundering health, ABC reported today that shoveling snow is a heart attack risk.
One storm that hit the Detroit area resulted in 36 people struck with sudden cardiac death while shoveling, according to an article published in the American Journal of Cardiology published in 2003.
For Pete's sake. I always thought of shoveling snow as our patriotic duty, kind of the fitness side of eating apple pie and watching football. I guess not. Anyway, I'm fairly certain that dropping dead while clearing out the driveway isn't an issue for you super-fit Fitness Nerds, right? It may be a hassle, but guess what? It's a 400-calorie-an-hour burning hassle! Hooray!

Here's a great list from Diets in Review of some other winter activities and the calories they burn.
At 773-calories-an-hour, I think I may have to start cross-country skiing again. But for the record, I'm annoyed to see surfing didn't make the list. Pansies.

2 comments:

  1. You also have to factor in that they're talking about Detroit. Wayne County is the most overweight county in Michigan. I don't think it took into account that some of those could have very well been drive-bys....

    ReplyDelete