
Let's talk about the third pillar of fitness today. Recovery or, specifically, sleep. Here's a good bit from CBS about the benefits of the cat nap.
A small study of 39 people found that a midday nap helped them in memory exercises. Those who napped performed 20 percent better than those who didn't. Researchers believe the sleep may help clear out a part of the brain called the hippocampus -- the brain's short-term memory storage -- and make room for new learning and information.The article goes on to discuss how a sleep-deprived brain can play tricks on the hormones that control your appetite, among other things.
I've long been an advocate of the 20-minute power nap. Back in my office-workin' days, I used to crawl under my desk for a quick bit o' shut eye every so often. It didn't go over too well with my boss, which is part of the reason why I no longer work in the corporate sector, but I'm the better, well-rested man for it, I suppose.
One thing, though. I don't really buy the whole appetite thing because, frankly, people who overeat have so many other physiological and psychological misfirings going on that a little lazy leptin and ghrelin isn't going to make much difference. On the other hand, every little bit helps, I suppose?
Great article. I actually took a 40 minute power nap before my workout and felt better than ever. Usually if I take naps during the day I am really groggy and annoyed.
ReplyDeleteYeah, usually the only time a nap helps me is if I didn't get enough sleep the night before. But if I nap just because I'm bored or something, I seem to be groggy for a while as opposed to more alert.
ReplyDeleteI love my power naps. They make me sane. I always believe in that 20 min makes you have the energy you need....more so when my 5 year old gets out of school.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteSpam!!!
ReplyDelete