Friday, March 18, 2011

Where'd you get that banana, anyway?

Today's finding is a little more "Nerd" than "Fitness." Check out Sourcemap.



Basically, it's a catalog of user-generated maps showing the supply chains of various consumer goods. A few of the more thorough maps get into carbon footprints, like the can of Coke above, but even without that information, it's fascinating to see where the elements come from. I didn't know Coke sourced its caffeine from Colombia, but it makes sense considering the beverages drug-addled origins.

Because it's user-generated and doesn't have the massive check-and-balance system of sites like Wikipedia, I don't completely trust the information, but it's still cool. And because a variety of people contribute, you get some outside-the-browser thinking, such as this banana map.



That's a long way for a piece of fruit to travel. It makes me feel a little high and mighty about the bowl of locally grown apples I have in my kitchen.

via The Kitchn

1 comment: