Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Longer meals cause you to eat less snack waffles!


Today at the Real Fitness Nerd, we're doing one of my favorite activities: poking holes in scientific studies and the way they're covered in the media. You fancy journalists and scientists may think you're soooooo cool with your little "degrees" and "IQs" and "knowledge." Whatever, Dr. Clever. I got your knowledge right here.

Case in point, this article in the New York Times regarding a study out of the Netherlands asking whether longer meals will cause you to snack less.

Two and a half hours after the beginning of the meal, when the diners were offered an array of traditional Dutch tea treats like apple cake, chocolate-covered marshmallows, peanuts, chips and waffles, they ate almost as much as they did two and a half hours after a meal that they had consumed in 30 minutes.

“We didn’t see a big difference in their energy intake afterward,” Dr. Lemmens said. In fact, the slow diners ate only 10 percent fewer snack calories than when they had consumed their meal quickly, a difference that wasn’t statistically significant.

Let's pounce on the scientists first, shall we? In these two paragraphs alone, I find so many problems. First and foremost, Dr. Lemmens should spell her name "Dr. Lemons" because that would be funnier. Second, "10 percent fewer snack calories" is HUGE. Do the math.

Let's take something from that list as a snacking example. Maybe waffles. I don't know anyone who snacks on waffles, but I'm already offending the Dutch enough in this post, so I'll run with waffles. According to Nutritiondata.com, your standard waffle is about 100 calories. We won't even bother with whatever the Dutch put in waffles - pickled herring or whatever - we'll just have a straight waffle snack. Now, let's say you only waffle snack on weekdays - weekends are waffle-free - and that you have that waffle after you snarf down a 30-minute speed meal. Over the course of a year, that's 260,000 snack waffle calories.

Now, let's say you switch to a longer, more leisurely lunch and therefore cut your waffle intake by 10%, or 90 calories a day. That adds up to 234,000 annual snack waffle calories - a 26,000 calorie difference. Considering a pound of fat equates to about 3,500 calories, that's seven and a half pounds on potential annual waffle weight gain.

(To answer your next question, I believe I wrote "waffle" 13 times.)

I know my example is completely silly (except the pickled herring part. They really eat pickled herring), but it proves the point that even if drawing out your meal decreases your intake of junk food, er, I mean Dutch tea treats, minimally, it's worth considering as an option.

Now it's time to bash the left-wing, commie, Nazi, fascist, liberal, monarchical, intellectual, freedom-hating, east coast journalist who wrote this. The lead states: "Does one leave you more satisfied — and less likely to snack afterward — than the other?" The study isn't about being satisfied, it's about our lame drive to eat junk even when we are satisfied. As Dr. Lemons points out towards the end of the article.

When participants ate the drawn-out meal, their satiety hormones (glucagon-like peptide-1, or GLP-1, and peptide tyrosine-tyrosine, or PYY, believed to communicate satiety to the brain and curb the appetite) increased more gradually than after the nonstaggered meal, when they spiked more rapidly. Just before the snacking period, diners who had eaten a drawn-out meal rated their satiety higher and their hunger lower, and their levels of ghrelin, a hormone that increases with hunger and is believed to stimulate appetite, were lower.

Yet these differences in hormone levels did not significantly affect how much participants ate of the sweet and salty tea snacks, Dr. Lemmens said, suggesting the availability of tempting foods overrides the body’s internal messages about when to stop eating.

I don't think I'm splitting hairs here. It's important that New York Times readers understand satiety and the drive to eat are two different things. Just because your brain wants junk, it doesn't mean your body needs it. I'd like to see the same study done with carrot sticks and apple slices. That would prove something about satiety. I think the Times would totally leap on that one, given they could recycle the lead from this article.

photo: www.jenlouie.com

7 comments:

  1. Poor pickled herring gets such a bad rap. Maybe it is not possible to cut down the mightiest tree in the forest with one (pickled or no). But pickled herring is super healthy, with lots of Omega-3s and protein. I'm surprised at such anti-pickled herring sentiment, RFN. Why not have a snack of pickled herring? That's a better choice than chocolate covered marshmallows. Or waffles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All you ever wanted to know about the stroopwafel, and more:

    http://daelmans-stroopwafel.blogspot.com/2007/11/pancake-waffle-glossary.html

    /mls

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nitpick on your nitpick. According to your quote of the article, the scientist said, "...the slow diners ate only 10 percent fewer snack calories...a difference that wasn't statistically significant..." I think the point he was making is that the uncertainty in the calorie difference was large enough that the 10% difference could not be confidently stated. If the fast-diners ate an average of 1000 +/- 500 calories in snacks and the slow-diners ate an average of 900 +/- 500 calories in snacks, then yes, there's a 10% difference in the averages, but the variation in the individual diners' eating habits does not make the difference significant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim - Awww... now I feel bad for the herrings! Serious, you're right, they aren't awful. I've had them a number of times - but they're just so fun to mock.

    Also, for the record, one ounce of pickled herring has 246mg of sodium - and who ever stops at one ounce?

    Anonymous - I don't agree. The man said 10%. Even if it was less than 10%, it would add up over time. When you're dealing with weight gain, every little bit counts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. D_Faye, I laughed multiple times at your article, so thanks! However, the anonymous comment is right on. As you probably know, when a scientist uses the phrase "statistically signficant," it implies a statistical test has been done. The purpose of these tests is to minimize exactly what is happening here: one person saying that the difference is big (you) and another person saying that the difference is no different from random chance (Dr. Lemons). The latter situation is illustrated by the flip of a coin; you won't always get an equal number of heads and tails. Sometimes you'll get a "pattern" of 3 heads and 7 tails, but the difference is simply due to chance and you'd be just as likely to get 7 heads and 3 tails the next time. That is apparently what is going on with this 10% savings in calories. If Dr. Lemons were to repeat his study, he's not necessarily going to find a 10% difference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear what you're saying and you're probably right, but +/-10% seems like a lot to me and should be further investigated.

    As much as I'm a little annoyed that you're right I'm also really happy to know my readers are this smart!

    BTW, in regards to my second comment about the faulty reporting on satiety. Check this out from the abstract:

    "In conclusion, staggered compared with nonstaggered meal consumption induces less pronounced hormone and appetite dynamics. Moreover, it results in higher final GLP-1 concentrations and satiety ratings, lower ghrelin concentrations and hunger ratings, and lower food “wanting” prior to ad libitum food intake. However, this was not translated into lower energy intake."

    These people were eating in spite of being satisfied!

    ReplyDelete
  7. And, what do you think of the stroopwafel now?

    /mls aka /michm

    ReplyDelete