Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Jogging and your Knees: Friends at Last!

I've never been a huge fan of jogging and because of that, I've always actively looked for reasons not to do it. Bad weather, unsafe streets, broken back - anything that came my way, I'd throw out to the universe as an excuse not to hit the mean streets. Now that I've reached the twilight of my years, I've simply settled into the "it's hard on aging knees" excuse-groove.

(Okay, so technically, I'm in the early afternoon of my years, but in some ways, 40 is the new 80. When kids start telling you that you smell like vitamins and waitresses suggest a side salad with your tempeh burrito because they think you need plenty of fiber in your diet, it's okay to throw around words like "twilight.")

Unfortunately those commie bastards at NPR have botched my tidy little excuse by reporting on new studies showing that, for most of us, running doesn't harm the knees at all. In fact, it can actually strengthen knees.
David Felson, a researcher and epidemiologist at Boston University School of Medicine, says past concern about jogging and knees centered on the continuous impact of the foot to the ground and suggestion that it caused degeneration of the knee and the onset of osteoarthritis. But when researchers actually studied the impact of running on knees, he says, that's not what they found.

"We know from many long-term studies that running doesn't appear to cause much damage to the knees," he says. "When we look at people with knee arthritis, we don't find much of a previous history of running, and when we look at runners and follow them over time, we don't find that their risk of developing osteoarthritis is any more than expected." Both types of studies agree, says Felson, that recreational running doesn't increase the risk of arthritis.

The story goes on to explain that the impact running has on the knees might actually stimulate the production of proteins that strengthen cartilage. I'm interested to see what kind of impact this information will have on the barefoot debate, where both sides claim the other side is systematically grinding their knees to boney nubs. Maybe they're both wrong. The article states that if you already have damaged knees or you're obese, jogging isn't something you want to jump right into, but other than that, it looks like you're free and clear, whether you're shod or not.

Except me. I haven't read the entire text of any of the studies yet, but I'm fairly certain that there's some caveat in every one that says if you're a blogger who reeks like a GNC and is occasionally a victim of mild ageism at vegetarian restaurants, you shouldn't jog.

At least that's my story.

6 comments:

  1. Despite two surgeries on the same knee, my knees aren't the problem when I run. It's my ankles. The beating is killing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did the study take into account the long-term effects of jogging-related misery? Repeatedly doing something as hopelessly awful as jogging must have a negative on one's psychological well-being over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, if you don't enjoy running, then don't! Seems pretty simple to me. I am a marathon runner and have taken time off when I reached burned out... but I always return. It's something I love to do.
    AND
    My knees, ankles, hips are all perfectly fine. No problems after 15 yrs of running.

    Do what you love, love what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sidestepped the effects on the other parts of the body. Good point, Matty. It would be nice to see follow-up studies dealing with ankles, spine, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you do any physical activity and you start seeing any type of problems not related to muscle burn, then you have to either stop it, decrease the intensity or find a good replacement!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running after a certain distance will not continue to help you lose weight if that is your goal. I run because I love it, but it is not good to run for super long distances all the time. After awhile, no matter what you are beating on does not do any good. And I mimic barefoot running with Vibrams not necessarily to avoid banging my joints, but because I don't ever get any injuries and my legs and calves got sore as hell when I started, because I was actually using the muscles you are supposed to for once.

    ReplyDelete