Just last week, researchers from Michigan State University reported that among dog owners who took their pets for regular walks, 60 percent met federal criteria for regular moderate or vigorous exercise. Nearly half of dog walkers exercised an average of 30 minutes a day at least five days a week. By comparison, only about a third of those without dogs got that much regular exercise.And here's another one:
A study of 41,500 California residents also looked at walking among dog and cat owners as well as those who didn’t have pets. Dog owners were about 60 percent more likely to walk for leisure than people who owned a cat or no pet at all. That translated to an extra 19 minutes a week of walking compared with people without dogs.I'm as guilty as the next guy of relying on my canine companion for fitness at various busy times in my life. (That's Bruce in the photo.) Now that I think about it, though. Most of us understand that dogs need exercise and we're willing to commit to making that happen, but according to the article, that willingness to stay active drops off when we're petless.
In other words, we as a society take better care of our dogs then we do of ourselves.
Maybe there's a lesson I can learn from all this. My hand hurts. It wouldn't have happened had I skipped the waves today and just taken Bruce for an extended hike.
Maybe it would have been your ankle instead? ;-)
ReplyDeleteYep, I walk my dog almost daily. It helps me as much as it helps her.
ReplyDeleteHope your hand heals quickly -- ouch!!!
ReplyDeleteThe walks with my two beagles are more like strolls . . . they have to sniff EVERYTHING and the boy stops to pee on each and every lamp post, fire hydrant, stop sign, tree. I've attempted running with them, but quickly found out I'd end up with a purple hand or head if not careful -- they run, run, run, and then STOP dead in their tracks when they smell something nifty. So their real workouts are chasing each other through the house, out one dog door around the yard and under the deck in the other dog door and 'round and 'round they go. Chasing birds, squirrels, turkeys, etc. give them a run for their money as well. I do know the walks are good stimulation for them too though. I try to mix up the route each day so they aren't experiencing the same old same old day in and day out (the doggie version of muscle confusion).
I do confess that I've trained them to run on the treadmill when it's pouring down rain. Not 'cause they won't go out in the rain, but 'cause I won't!
Gotta say, it cracks me up to see a dog dragging his/her human on a skateboard . . . good exercise for the dog, but the human???
/michm
P.S. Quite a handsome dog you've got there. :) Reminds me of the one my brother had. Sniff.
ReplyDelete/michm
Cute, pup! I know my rottie keeps me going for walks, provided the sun is out...(and I'm in Georgia, so that's pretty much 7/365)
ReplyDelete