(If your browser cuts the image off, here's a link to the original.)
This documentary is fascinating on so many levels. First and foremost, Denny Crane, I mean William Shatner, is positively riveting from his bad jogging suit to his love for eggplant parmigiana. What also makes this 1982 vegetarian rant interesting is that it's 30 years ahead of its time in discussing then-fringe concepts that modern authors like Michael Pollan (Omnivore's Dilemma) and Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation) have now made completely mainstream, such as the benefits of organic farming, the evils of antibiotics in farm-raised cattle, and the notion that farmland used to raise grains and veggies is more economically and environmentally sustainable than land used to raise animals. It was such a different time back then. Even cholesterol needs to be referred to as "a substance in the bloodstream called cholesterol" or, as T. J. Hooker, er, I mean William Shatner, puts it, "a substances inthebloodstreamcalled... cholesterol."
While it's easy to consider the film's director, Jonathon Kay, a visionary, I give all the credit to James T. Kirk - and I do mean James T. Kirk - for slingshotting the Enterprise around the sun, thus going forward in time 30 years so that he could get the low-down on 21st century eco-politics, then return to 1982 and report on it.
Well, technically, Sulu steered the spacecraft around the sun, but Kirk was captain, so I'm giving him credit.
This is the best nutrition post of all time.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHow can there be only one comment here? The Campbellians have probably suppressed distribution of this post. It's either them or the cattle industry.
ReplyDeleteFantastic post !!!
ReplyDeleteWonderful video but Shatner has not been vegetarian for many, many years.
ReplyDelete