
Note: I was going to headline this post with some sort of thinly-veiled masturbation reference juggling the words Eat, Meat, and Beat, but I've been doing a lot of that lately (the headlines, not the masturbation), so I decided to take the high ground today.
Anyway, hey low-carb people! Bad news! A new study out of Europe shows that the more meat you eat, the more weight you gain. From the BBC:
I know what you're thinking. "Those Eurotrash scientists are trying to ruin the United States! First they attack genetically modified crops and now this! It's our right as Americans to eat all the beef and mutant corn we can shove down our gullets!"
While I concur on the GMO front - it is, after all, a proud American tradition to leap off cliffs like lemmings at the whim of manipulative, evil corporations - I'm baffled by the whole need-to-eat-meat thing. Up until the 1950s, humans just didn't eat that much meat, with the exception of medieval royalty, and they all had gout. Even if you follow the Paleo model, the cavemen didn't eat much meat simply because it was hard to catch and they didn't have adequate refrigeration (at least not on purpose), so they mostly eat fruits, roots, and nuts.
The Euro-scientists can't really explain the weight gain, except for a theory that meat messes with appetite suppression, which doesn't make sense in the context of this study. Everyone was eating the same amount of calories. My personal theory is that people who eat less meat tend to be healthier, so they exercise more, so they have higher metabolisms. Maybe in the short term, a low-carb diet might induce ketosis and help you lose weight, but in the long run, a balanced diet will always win. So take my advice, the less you touch the beef, the better off you'll be.
That was a thinly-veiled masturbation reference, wasn't it? Damnit, I almost made it!
Nuts are nice but nothing satisfies like a hot hunk o' meat. ;)
ReplyDeleteWow. Checkmate, I guess.
ReplyDeleteThis assumes all calories are created equal. I'd be interested to know what type of meat (grass fed v. conventionally raised) and what other foods the meat eaters ate (i.e. soda, other HFCS containing foods). Most meat eaters do tend to eat less healthy, but there are more educated meat eaters out there!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.diet-blog.com/08/all_calories_are_not_created_equal.php
That is an interesting notion, although Europeans tend to be much picker about their meat (well, except for the British), so I'm guessing there was a strong grass-fed contingent.
ReplyDeleteI'm not one to comment on this one as I eat meat once in a blue moon, if that. I've tried grass-fed buffalo and bison and still, I'm just not crazy about it; the taste just kinda grosses me out, to be honest. Fish on the other hand . . .
ReplyDeleteWhich brings me to point out this latest atrosity in the GMO business:
"Gentically Engineered Salmon Could Be On Plates Soon"
Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/07/21/2902936/gentically-engineered-salmon-could.html#ixzz0uROaqByF
AAAACK!!!!
/michm
Yikes! Make that "atrocity."
ReplyDelete/michm