
We've been muckrackin' and proselytizin' quite a bit lately at The Real Fitness Nerd, so today I'm gonna hit you with a little good, old-fashioned stoke.
Check out Mike Hanson. This month he's going to do the 2174 mile Appalachian Trial solo. In any other circumstance, I'd just issue a big "BFD" and be done with it, but what makes Mike's journey special is that he's blind.
From ScrippsNews:
So Steffens will be following Hanson, but Mike is leading the way. If he gets lost, Gary gets lost too.
I haven't talked about this too much on the blog, but I recently discovered that a nagging back pain was actually a stress-fractured L5 vertebrae. (I'll write more about it eventually.) I'd be lying if I said the injury and the resulting treatment, which includes severally curbing exercise, hasn't thrown me into an emotional tailspin. But the thing is, in theory, my back will heal. Mike Hanson will always be blind and he's not letting that get in the way of, well, anything. Cool guy. Cooler challenge.
Go get 'em, Mike!
What a very cool story! Makes our troubles seem insignificant and petty.
ReplyDeleteThat's a great story! I hope he does well!
ReplyDeleteA stress fracture in your back??? Ouch! I hope you feel better!!
Very cool. I hope he succeeds without many problems. And good luck with your back pain.
ReplyDelete