
Sometimes, we Fitness Nerds get so wrapped up the ultra-core-abs-thighs-pilatespolooza-bim-bam-boom workout of the week that we forget the simple merits of putting one foot in front of the other. It burns calories. It's low impact. It's a stress reliever. It makes your dog happy. It cooks, cleans and even does windows.
Recently, CNN posted a nifty little guide to developing your own walking workout, depending on your fitness level. Read all about it here.
Of course, you Midwesterners out there are probably rolling your eyes, wondering why I choose autumn, just weeks before the first snow, to extol the virtues of walking. Well, it wasn't me, it was CNN, so step back. I'm just the messenger.
Walk it off, man. Walk it off.
photo: Photo Agency
We got our first snow about a week ago.
ReplyDeleteDoes walking really even raise your heart rate? I just do it for leisure, when it's actually nice out, but when I'm at the weight I should be I don't consider it exercise.
It depends. There's walking and there's walking. A light stroll isn't going to have much impact, but if you pick up the pace, yeah, it can be a good workout.
ReplyDeleteRead the link! It tells all!