
If I handed you a fried, brown mass and said, "Eat this," would you? Probably not. As much as we all love brown, fried masses, you'd probably want to know what it was first. Yet, oddly enough, consumers march into restaurants by the millions and chow down on tons and tons of oddly titled and completely unidentifiable fried, brown masses without giving it a second thought.
Or do they?
According to a poll conducted by Kelton Research, 65% of Americans say they prefer to see nutritional information on a restaurant menu rather than calories alone. Here's a little (and I do mean little) more about it in the Los Angeles Times.
Oddly enough, this is one of the few times that this Fitness Nerd is a little apathetic about nutrition reform. I rarely eat out and when I do, I know that whatever I'm eating just won't be as good for me as what I make at home. In my opinion, demanding nutritional info at a TGIFridays is a little like demanding to know what caliber of weapon the firing squad is about to shoot me with.
On the other hand, who doesn't love being a pain-in-the-ass to multinational, corporate chains? Let's make them work a little and give us those numbers.
Well, I like that I'm able to make a little better of a decision when I'm given nutrition information. Especially if I'm like, "Oh, I think I'll have this burger...not for 950 calories I won't!" For me, it helps.
ReplyDeleteThat's a good point. I guess I've become such a food fascist in my old age that I avoid burgers whether they're 300 calorie or 3000 calories.
ReplyDeleteYour path is the path of moderation, young Miss Destiny, and I salute you for that.