
Why does the media insist on referring to exercise as something people don't want to do? I'm fairly certain every news site from here to Paquima is going to get their underpants in a bundle over a study out today in Psychology and Health claiming that when you use your willpower to do one activity, it drains your gumption to do another.
"Cognitive tasks, as well as emotional tasks such as regulating your emotions, can deplete your self-regulatory capacity to exercise," says Kathleen Martin Ginis, associate professor of kinesiology at McMaster University, and lead author of the study.Why is exercise the villain here? I'm wrestling with a back injury right now. My physio has me off the yoga. I tell ya, it's taking every ounce of willpower not to Warrior 1, 2 and 3 it after a hard, stationary day sitting at my MacBook Pro. Several years ago, I severed a nerve in my hand (I'm a little accident-prone, so back off!) and had to lay off surfing for 3 months. Damn near killed me.
If you are one of those types who struggle to exercise, here's a tip. Stop doing junk you don't like. Pick something really cool and go for it. It'll take a little transition to get skilled-up -- willpower might come into play then -- but once you're past it, every workout will be a happy one.
That is, until you severe a nerve and have to sit on the beach watching your "friends" rip-up perfect, peeling, double-overhead Bells Beach.
Bastards. I'll never forgive them for that.
via Science Blog
Well, it's a lot easier to just say you don't like exercise and have that piss-poor excuse for being lazy then to actually look for something you'll like.
ReplyDeleteya I agree - it's kind of like I flip that on its head. After a stressful day I NEED to exercise MORE. Just to clear my head. And I know it - I look forward to the endorphins and such too. Better yet do it in the morning and feel the benefits all day. OK there are times its hard to get going but once you start that goes away. Maybe the real answer is for those people who have to drag themselves to commit to it first thing in the morning before they've spent a long day at the office.
ReplyDeleteI love your blog. And I wanted to offer you a blog design for free. You don't have to advertise for me or anything. I just love to blog design and thought you may want one.
ReplyDeleteSome of these studies lately have me really pondering-WTH? Great advice Denis, do what you like. I think these "experts" need to go hang with some local surfers for a day. Where's that study?
ReplyDeleteAllison -
ReplyDeleteI'll respond offline.
bassurfchick -
To paraphrase Colonel Kilgore in Apocalypse Now, "The Experts don't surf."
Allison -
ReplyDeleteI couldn't contact you after all. You're very secretive. Thank you very much for the kind offer, but someone else beat you to the punch! We have something pretty cool in the works and it should be up shortly.