
In a study that would make Hemingway proud, researchers out of the University of Miami have reviewed government health survey data to discover that boozers tend to exercise more than teetotalers.
From Reuters:
The report then goes on to offer a few theories as to why this is, including the idea that "heavy drinking might be part of a 'sensation-seeking' lifestyle for some people."
I suggest one additional possible explanation. Perhaps the kind of people who exaggerate how bad-ass they are at their chosen fitness activity are often the same kind of people who overstate how much they can drink. In other words, the health survey happened upon a bunch of lying braggarts.I propose a more accurate study in which we visit popular bars in sport-hub towns, like Moab, Utah and San Clemente, California. We host a two-part evening consisting of arm-wrestling followed by tequila shots into unconsciousness. I think this method would render far more dependable results.
Well, it would be more fun than reading lame government survey data, at least. Who's with me?
I like the interest in the article. I find that a lot of heavy drinkers work harder to burn off what they drank or will drink. How does the exercise vs drinking affect longer term health?
ReplyDeleteA more plausible explanation is that people who frequent bars and consider themselves heavy drinkers are the same type of person who is caught up in self-image (while maybe not overall health). Thus, in order to "go out" and attract the right kind of person, these people feel they need to be in shape.
ReplyDeleteWho wants to stand at a bar with a lot of unattractive people?
It could also be an age thing. People in their twenties tend to drink more socially -- they also tend to exercise more. It's benefit of having more time on their hands.
ReplyDeleteI would also imagine there's another twist to the amount they drink. Once you get into constant binge drinking, I bet the workout hours drop.
It is an interesting theory about the whole sensation thing. But considering a recent study on heavy drinking and increased risk of atrial fibrillation sounds like a recipe for trouble http://bit.ly/x81rU
ReplyDelete