Dear Real Fitness Nerd - I just heard about different body types about 5 minutes ago (Ectomorph, Mesomorph or Endomorph) and I wanted to know what you think about it. Is it just a load of bull to help people feel better about being fat or not being buff? Or does it at least hold some water?
- Morphtastic in San Marcos
My short answer, Morphtastic, is yes and no. Does that help? Of course not! It's a vague, annoying response, so allow me to go into more detail.
The modern incarnation of somatotyping, as it's called, categorizes bodies into three groups. Ectomorphs are skinny people who gain neither fat nor muscle quickly. Endomorphs are big people who gain fat quickly. Mesomorphs are right in the middle and tend to gain more muscle. The system is a really easy way to categorize body types and is therefore is often used by the fitness industry to size up the needs of people looking to put on muscle, lose fat, or some combination thereof.
Although there's certainly a common sense aspect to somatotyping - and it's very pleasing to say aloud because it rhythms with "tomato-typing" - there's not a ton of science behind it. It was actually conceived in the forties by a psychologist named William H. Sheldon, who wrote about it in his awesomely-named book, Atlas of Men. The 1954 tome features just enough photos of naked men to raise an eyebrow. The publishers, apparently, tried to downplay this by whiting out the genitals - which actually makes the whole thing all the more eyebrow-raising, in my opinion.
Sheldon's original concept was far more complex than grouping men into three groups. (He never wrote an Atlas of Women, perhaps because the publishers resists the substantially bigger white-out job the naked female form presents.) Instead, Sheldon presented a complex, base-seven rating system suggesting that all men possessed elements of all three body types. In other words, most guys are part ectomorph, part mesomorph, and part endomorph.
The system makes complete sense (to me, at least). But, for some reason, Sheldon then assigned animal names to the different body types. Here's an example:
Somatotype 3 6 1 (Endomorphic extreme mesomorphy, at extreme ectopenia, 10-level) Wolverines. Sometimes called “cat bears” and also as “weasel bears.” Compact, short legged, giant weasels who know no fear. A wolverine can put to rout a hungry bear and can hold his own against any North American animal except man (who perhaps uses unfair weapons)Fascinating. I'd probably put myself it 3-6-1, making me, technically, a wolverine. As thrilled as I am by this, this labeling smacks more of Facebook fun quiz, less of scientific research. He probably could have skipped it and stuck with the numbers.
So that's how tomato, er, somatotyping started. However, Americans don't like complexity, unless it pertains to their healthcare system or debt ceiling, so as the fitness industry adopted Sheldon's system, they dumbed it down to the three body types and omitted the animal names. Regardless, from now on, I intend to refer to myself not as a mesomorph, but as a wolverine. Just try and stop me.
Do I buy somatotyping? I suppose. There are skinny people, fat people, and middle people, so if you want to slap labels on them to sell books, feel free. It's a useful tool when helping people in broad strokes. However, I think it's important to understand the nuance of Sheldon's original theory. There are scores of body types between these three. Although categorizing yourself as one of them is a good start, eventually, you'll probably need to cross-apply strategies from the three to reach your goal.
Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go "rout a hungry bear," whatever that means.
It would appear that you accidentally posted this article twice unless my browser is just being silly.
ReplyDeleteAfter I thought about this for a few minutes, I thought it was more likely that these were just terms used to describe the way people are as opposed to groups that all people are in and determine how they gain or don't gain weight or muscle.
That being said, somehow I get the feeling you still enjoyed researching and writing that article.
Z -
ReplyDeleteSorry about the double post. Blogger was acting up this afternoon.
And, for the record, I enjoy researching and writing everything. That's how I roll.
ReplyDeleteHow do we ask a question of the week?
ReplyDeleteJust ask me here or post it on the Real Fitness Nerd facebook page!
ReplyDeleteMy Mother & Father in Law both in their 90’s have lived on a staple diet of “Meat & two veg” most of their life. I do admit that since the infamous 70’s which introduced them to the indulgence of crappy processed food, they have happily embraced the odd frozen pie or fish fingers along with their plate of mash and 2 veg.
ReplyDeleteThey have never so much as touched pasta, garlic or even eggplant which is referred by them as “foreign” So as sit here contemplating the pros and cons of IF or Primal diet (which is what this question is really about) Are they the ones with their longevity that really have it right, or should we embrace the new way of thinking by the experts to give us Improved health and longevity by playing with our diet?