I'm getting a little tired of bitching and moaning about questionable studies all the time, so I might try something new here at the Real Fitness Nerd. If you Nerd Herders want to ask me questions, I'll pick some out and incorporate them into the blog with sarcastic and vaguely accurate answers.
You can either post questions in the comments after my posts, or you can ask them on my Facebook page.
Throw me some fun stuff. If you give yourself a good name (Constipated in Cincinnati, Protein Packin' Pete, etc), you'll just make me want to answer you all the more. And, yes, I'll link back to your blog. Many of you know me through my work at Beachbody, so I ask that you steer your questions regarding those products to the TeamBeachbody Message Boards, where I tend to tone it down and be a little less... what's the word for it? Oh yes! Fabulous.
What ya got for me?
Fitness nerd, long time reader firt time asker....I am in the 3rd week of a "Homebrew" p90x and 1 on 1 with Tony Horton Vols. 1 & 2 exercise routine that I have created. You can see it here: http://p90xandadvocare.blogspot.com/2011/05/schedule.html
ReplyDeleteI noticed that i don't have any shoulder routine. Can you let me know where I can substitute that routine in? It can be from either p90x or Vol 1 or 2 of 1on1.
Also, what is your take on supplements?
Thanks from Lean Mean Gruntin' Machine!
Have some Serious questions for you, will get in touch with you on FB.
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not we don't FB. We are easing oursleves into this whole social media business. Heck we just got a computer 2 weeks ago. (just kidding...). We're primitive over here at Lean Mean Gruntin' Machine!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm interested to know what the questions are.
What's the deal with going gluten free, if you don't have problems with it? For example, Tony Horton nowadays talks nonstop of the evil of gluten, but I don't think it's because he has gluten intolerance. He just does it because.
ReplyDeleteWhy? I don't see how gluten could be unhealthy or a problem for the body if you can handle it.
Hi there. Love your blog! It's kept me entertained through many a long night shift :-D And as a bonus, I learn something too!
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering if you've got any thoughts on meal frequency. I'm doing the Insanity plan of 5 small meals a day, but I'm wondering if there's actually an science to back up the idea that frequent small meals are better than three big ones...?
Also, what's the deal with intermittent fasting? Is there any evidence that it's good for you? Has there been any research into ways to do it that won't make me headachey and irritable?
Keep up the great work! I love your BB mailbag too...
Nerd,
ReplyDeleteShellfish allergies. Worse... Kelp allergies. I am guessing shellfish eat kelp and that's why my wife is allergic to both? Or is it?
Being the super-fabulous source of iodine that it is, I would love for my wife to be able to have vitamin supplements that have kelp in them. Finding a suitable multi is a bear... add that to the fact that she prefers gummy vitamins and you'll see I have pulled out all my hair!
Look at our BB line-up! They put kelp in EVERYTHING!
Some food allergies you can grow out of, take blockers for, whatever. What are my options here?
Why are we allergic to stuff that's so good for others, how does it work, are there any studies that show how we can work around, who cuts your hair, is there any hope for us?
Signed,
Kelpless on the Coast
PS. She seems to handle gluten just fine and last time we worked out with Tony I caught him checkin' out her downward dog! I credit the gluten.
Please pick me!!!! I am all confused about supplements!I take my workouts and fitness seriously, but does that mean i have to do the supplements too? The idea of popping some chemical names that i can not even say freaks me out!!! Plus i can not afford them! (notice how it i use "them" implying more than one!) Thanks!
ReplyDeleteDear Mr. Real Fitness Nerd,
ReplyDeleteMost anti/pro-sugar wars I see look like this:
Atkinsy Health Nut: Sugar is bad!
Not-Atkinsy Health Nut: Not really! Just the processed crap!
Atkinsy Health Nut: I dunno, I still think sugar is bad!
Non-Atkinsy Health Nut: Just ignore the processed crap. Fruits and veggies are fine. They have fiber, so the sugar is absorbed slowly and stuff! I mean, it's FRUIT. How could it be bad?
Atkinsy Health Nut: Whatever! Sugar Is Bad! You should just eat seal fat, like all our ancestors did.
Non-Atkinsy Health Nut: Seriously, if fruit is bad for you, then WTF?
Sadly, I have yet to see the conversion continue in this way:
Slacker Junk Food Addict Pseudo-Health Nut: Eeeexcellent, so, Non-Atkinsy-Health-Nut, I can have a few Little Debbie snack cakes, and as long as I down some All-Bran with it, I should be fine, right?
What say ye?
-- Favoring Fudge and Fiber Fusion in Fiji
Nothing funny or fancy here but I have a question I was dying to ask:
ReplyDeleteI started taking Beef Jerky (the nutritional breakdown is very good as far as I know (41.5 g Protein, 24g Carbs, Fat 5g and Sodium 1.5g).
Now I know that processed meat can influence cancer cells negatively. Is adding Beef Jerky to your diet frequently dangerous? Once per day as snack is too much I would assume? Once per week would be ok? How much is enough moderation?
There is not much information about the good and bad of beef jerky imo :)