Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Regarding Spaghetti Tacos and Fish Tomatoes

In the spirit of Monday's little Real Fitness Nerd unhealthy kids rant, I offer this bit of stoke from 11-year-old-organic-food-wunderkind Birke Baehr:



My favorite line is Birke's comment on the expense of organic produce, "It seems to me that we can pay the farmer or we can pay the hospital."

If you read the comments under the Youtube page for this speech, you'll see at least one negative comment pointing out that this kid is "just repeating everything his parents tell him," which is probably true, but is that a bad thing? When you're that age, it's your job to absorb knowledge. You don't really have to worry about making concrete choices. You should be reveling in ideas. You're basically just a sponge with appendages, an appetite, and no fashion sense.

And although Birke's speech is pretty extreme - even I think there are two sides to the organic debate - I'd rather see more young sponges absorbing this kind of rhetoric and fewer young sponges absorbing the latest Nickelodeon nutritional meme, Spaghetti Tacos ala iCarly:

Big props to yoga mama Kim Kash for turning me on to this video.

1 comment:

  1. This kid is fantastic! I was wondering why he was so smart and then I got my answer at about 3:30--he's homeschooled!

    ReplyDelete