eLEGS is basically an exoskeleton that allows paralyzed people to walk. Gizmodo explains it quite well:
The suit consists of a backpack-mounted controller connected to robotic legs. It is driven by four motors, one for each hip and knee. The ankle joint is controlled with passive springs that keep the foot angled so that it can be placed on the ground, heel to toe, as the leg steps. Sensors in the legs relay position information to the control unit, which determines how to bend the joints and, in turn, walk. Onboard lithium-cobalt batteries allow the suit to be operated without a tether to a power source.Once you get past the "rad" factor, eLEGS is admitted bulky and raises a lot of questions like, "What happens if it runs out of batteries at the wrong moment?" But that's a little like criticizing the Wright Brother's first plan because it didn't offer regular commuter flights to Miami. This is how progress happens. Baby steps, pun intended.
Frankly, as much as the Real Fitness Nerd acts as the crazy guy with a sandwich-board sign yelling missives at the intersection of Technology Street and Health Avenue, I get a little jaded about both sometimes. Sure, iPads and metabolism-tracking watches are cool, but do they really matter that much? Will they change the course of human events for the better? And yes, I understand that we all want buns of iron or an eight-pack, but so what? How will that really change our lives that much?
It's absolutely thrilling to watch that video and witness Berkeley Bionics making massive strides (again with the intentional pun) towards increasing the quality of living for those who deserve it.
Of course, I'm not super happy about eLEGS's predecessor, bionic legs designed to make soldier super strong knows as HULC. I'm happy to keep my super soldiers limited to Captain America and Imperial Stormtroopers, but I'm not going to let that ruin Feel the Love Friday, so stay stoked, my friends, and have a great weekend.
This is pretty awesome. Of course, you've seen Iron Man so you pretty much know how it's going to turn out.
ReplyDeleteI went to click "awesome" in the reactions but saw that wasn't an option. But that was all I could think of when watching that video. It will be incredible if this is something that a lot of paraplegics will be able to start using.
ReplyDeleteFriggin awesomw.... If you dont shed a tear watching the video, then you do not have a heart.... I have no friend or family in a state that may require the use of the product, but if I did, I give Berkeley Bionics kudos and a big thumb up!!!!
ReplyDeleteCRYING for joy for these folks who now have more options than before. Cheering like hell for the company that actually gave a sh*% about people and their needs before developing another useless product!!! Berkeley Bionics deserves a big thumbs up
ReplyDeleteOMG is all I can muster.... This is AMAZING technology and makes me feel stupid for creating more widgets that no one really needs..
ReplyDeleteNerdy geek engineer
Steve beat me to it! Curse you, Steve Edwards!! *fist shake*
ReplyDeleteAnyway, that is nothing short of amazing! I couldn't imagine the feeling of being able to walk again after you were told you couldn't. That is such a wonderful thing!
Also, how sweet would it be to say you have bionic legs? Exactly...
They should have called it the eWalk.
ReplyDelete