Friday, June 4, 2010

Zombiefit: A workout with brains... brains... MORE BRAINS!!!!!!!


There's a great article at Associated Press today about eating before exercise and, honestly, I should write about it, but I'm going to save it for Monday because, in the event that the undead apocalypse hits this weekend, you'll need to know about Zombiefit.

Designed by a bunch of Chicago-area traceurs, the program is a strength-training/parcour hybrid. For those not in-the-know, parcour is an activity that involves climbing and jumping over and around typically urban obstacles. You probably know it from that crazy chase scene in Casino Royale.



There are a couple ways to embrace Zombiefit. If you live in Chicago, you can practice at their gym. Otherwise, they offer a daily workout on their website.

As much as I love this idea simply because it's rad, what I like even more is that it endeavors to make fitness fun to a group of people who might not normally embrace it. I'm fairly certain that geeks across the Chicagoland area are, at this very moment, looking up from their World of Warcraft marathons to contemplate the benefits of being able to jump over fire hydrants and spring through windows. After all, their medula oblongatas are on the line!

It's the same reason I like the Wii. Fit people are going to do fit stuff. Fat people who want to be fit are going to do fit stuff. But there's this massive group in the middle who are happy to eat crap, be obese, and drive up health-care costs for the rest of us. They're the people we need to reach out to. Of course, once the walking dead roam the earth, our medical system will become irrelevant, but you get the point.



(As an aside, I love how rough around the edges this correspondent is. I don't think a Los Angeles reporter would ever blatantly tell the anchor to "Shut up!" like that. I gotta get me an Illinois woman.)

via Wired
image from GlennzTees.

1 comment:

  1. That looks like so much fun! I think it would be worth the 4 hour drive to Chicago. Although I'd probably not do so well because I'm one of the clumsiest people ever...


    That correspondent seems like overflow from Brooklyn. She isn't somebody I'd want to meet in a dark alley.

    ReplyDelete