Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Drink more and live longer! (but you won't remember as much so it balances out)


The new study showing that drunks live longer than teetotalers is a bit of the inebriated elephant in the room 'round these parts, so I suppose that's what I'll write about today. From Time (a note to young readers. You may not have heard of Time. It's a news magazine and it's a little weird because it's printed on paper):

The sample of those who were studied included individuals between ages 55 and 65 who had had any kind of outpatient care in the previous three years. The 1,824 participants were followed for 20 years. One drawback of the sample: a disproportionate number, 63%, were men. Just over 69% of the never-drinkers died during the 20 years, 60% of the heavy drinkers died and only 41% of moderate drinkers died.

These are remarkable statistics. Even though heavy drinking is associated with higher risk for cirrhosis and several types of cancer (particularly cancers in the mouth and esophagus), heavy drinkers are less likely to die than people who have never drunk. One important reason is that alcohol lubricates so many social interactions, and social interactions are vital for maintaining mental and physical health.
This goes back to my chicken-or-the-eggnog question. Do people live longer because they drink? Or do people prone to living longer pend to drink because they're less stressed about toeing some particular line? And what does this mean for people like me, who have that impressive combo of being a drinker, yet are more stressed-out than any non-drinker they know?

Frankly, I don't give this study a lot of cred. I can't find the actual document (MichM? Where are you when I need you?), but splitting drinkers into three groups doesn't allow for a lot of leeway. What about people who drink every once in a while, like a couple times a year? They aren't teetotalers, so they'd be lumped into the moderate group. What about people who are generally moderate, but cut loose every now and then? I have 0 to 2 drinks a day, usually, but if I'm at a dinner party, I've been known to have an aperitif, a few glasses of wine with dinner, and maybe a port afterward. Technically, that puts me in the heavy drinker camp, but I'm no Charles Bukowski, so I throw off the numbers too. For the record, the poet Bukowski died of leukemia at 73, which had nothing to do with his famous alcoholism.

Maybe we need to realize that the primary utility of studies such as this is to serve as word-fodder for dated news magazines and self-important bloggers. I'd never advocate alcoholism, but that has less to do with death and more to do with the quality of your life and the lives of those around you. I do, however, think it's perfectly fine to lose your shaker of salt in Margaritaville every now-and-again. I also think that if you feel better off without the hooch, go hoochless.

Either way, sometimes it's more important to listen to poets than studies, so I just spent 30 minutes trying to find the perfect Bukowski quote to end this post, but the best I could find was, ""Sometimes you just have to pee in the sink."

For some reason, it kind of fits.

13 comments:

  1. Denis, this is really odd. I've tried posting twice. Both times I got taken to an error page. I hit "back" and it shows my post. I leave your blog and return at a later time to see my post disappeared.

    ???

    /michm

    ReplyDelete
  2. (cont'd from previous comment):

    Background: Growing epidemiological evidence indicates that moderate alcohol consumption is associated with reduced total mortality among middle-aged and older adults. However, the salutary effect of moderate drinking may be overestimated owing to confounding factors. Abstainers may include former problem drinkers with existing health problems and may be atypical compared to drinkers in terms of sociodemographic and social-behavioral factors. The purpose of this study was to examine the association between alcohol consumption and all-cause mortality over 20 years among 1,824 older adults, controlling for a wide range of potential confounding factors associated with abstention.

    Methods: The sample at baseline included 1,824 individuals between the ages of 55 and 65. The database at baseline included information on daily alcohol consumption, sociodemographic factors, former problem drinking status, health factors, and social-behavioral factors. Abstention was defined as abstaining from alcohol at baseline. Death across a 20-year follow-up period was confirmed primarily by death certificate.

    Results: Controlling only for age and gender, compared to moderate drinkers, abstainers had a more than 2 times increased mortality risk, heavy drinkers had 70% increased risk, and light drinkers had 23% increased risk. A model controlling for former problem drinking status, existing health problems, and key sociodemographic and social-behavioral factors, as well as for age and gender, substantially reduced the mortality effect for abstainers compared to moderate drinkers. However, even after adjusting for all covariates, abstainers and heavy drinkers continued to show increased mortality risks of 51 and 45%, respectively, compared to moderate drinkers.

    Conclusions: Findings are consistent with an interpretation that the survival effect for moderate drinking compared to abstention among older adults reflects 2 processes. First, the effect of confounding factors associated with alcohol abstention is considerable. However, even after taking account of traditional and nontraditional covariates, moderate alcohol consumption continued to show a beneficial effect in predicting mortality risk.


    /michm

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michm - I think the comment was longer than blogger.com allows.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! Thanks. I thought maybe I was going screwy . . . maybe I need a drink . . . ha ha.

    /michm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I think I'd be considered a moderate drinker, so I guess that's good... Is drinking several drinks two or three times a month moderate?

    By the way, I miss the old blog design. This one's so dark. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's just temporary while I rework things a little, but does this make you happy, darlin'?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grrr . . . . I think it just didn't like the full citation and author contact info. For some reason it won't let me post that. But, seeing as you, Denis, received that info earlier, I'll just let it go now.

    /michm

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michm -

    When what you're trying to post come to my email, it has a link in it to an email: holahan@psy.utexas.edu. Try breaking that link maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tah dah!!! Shall we drink to that?

    /michm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Spoke too soon. It disappeared again! Aaargh!!!

    I'm done.

    /michm

    ReplyDelete
  12. Denis, I got to the original study from a link in the Time piece. Time pretty baldly overstates the case, naturally. Abstainers are generally more likely to be obese, depressed, have high blood pressure, and a bunch of other things, all of which influence mortality. When you account for those things, alcohol use still has an effect on mortality, but not as much as it seems at first glance.

    Yours,

    Prof. Crankypants

    ReplyDelete