
Previous to becoming the "outdoors type", I thought I had seasonal affective disorder (SAD). Winters were always times of depression and heavy Capt. Crunch eating. Then, once surfing became a year-round passion and I started biking to work rain or shine, those moods lifted. Yeah, I'm still a cantankerous boor, but at least now my boorishness presents itself in a steady flow throughout the seasons.
For years, I assumed exercise-released endorphins were responsible for making me a year-around happy camper, until I figured out that a bike ride to the farmers market or a walk on the beach could sometimes elevate my mood as much as a good surf.
Well, almost as much as a good surf.
Anyway, the latest wire to hit the Real Fitness Nerd Research Desk explains what the hell's going on in my noggin. It isn't just that I exercise. It's that I exercise outside. From the BBC:
So there's another reason to get out and get active, as if there weren't fifty billion others.
The article goes on to suggest that green time might even become a useful therapy tool in fighting depression, although that probably won't take off, considering there's no profit center. Of course, Pfizer could always buy some of those parks that budget-troubled states like Arizona keep threatening to shut down. Then they could re-open them as "therapy forests" and charge a hefty entry fee.
How the hell is the FDA going to regulate that?
I don't know... Living in Wyoming, I know that 90% of the time when I go outside I just get depressed. Whether it's in the winter and it's terribly cold and snowy and we haven't seen sun for three weeks, or it's May, and it's yet to get above 50 degrees and it's still snowing every three days, or it's July, and it would be a nice day if it weren't for the 20 mph winds. It's just all really effing depressing. As I'm sure you can guess, I hate exercising outside here. I'd rather be inside where the shitty weather can't ruin my mood.
ReplyDeleteNoted. Get your tail out to Cali and we'll show you what outdoor activity is all about.
ReplyDelete