Now that we have that out of the way, here's an except from article from CNN discussing how unrealistic it is to expect that baby bulge to vanish overnight.
While this is a valid point, I don't think it's entirely accurate. First off, women don't have enough sense not to compare themselves to supermodels, which is why they get in this pickle. (For the record, neither do men. I wish I had a nickel for every chowderhead I know obsessed with achieving "300 abs - like, you know, Spartan abs, dude! Those Spartans were rad!") But it's really not fair to blame the models. First off, it's their job to be skinny, so you bet they and their staff of hundreds will make sure that weight vanishes fast. Second, why should they be held accountable for what they say? It has no bearing on their profession whatsoever. I mean, do we hold Bill Gates accountable for what he looks like in a bikini? No.
On a more positive note, the article spends a lot of time proposing solutions for post-baby weight loss. For example:
Medical experts say it's fine to start walking within days of giving birth, unless the mother has undergone a C-section or invasive surgery. So walk around the block. When you feel stronger, climb the stairs in your house. If your child is sleeping, get on the floor and do 10 pushups or lunges across the den. Pop in an exercise DVD and put it on mute. Can your partner watch the child while you escape to an aerobics or yoga class? When your child is a bit older, call around to local gyms. At least one will likely have a baby-sitting service.
Personally, while I feel it's important to get to a healthy weight as soon as possible and taking care of one's self is crucial to properly raising a kid, it's absurd how much women (and their asshole husbands) focus on getting skinny. It's much more important to focus on being a parent. Eat right and stay active and your body will correct itself. At least, that's the advice I gave the mother of my child.
But that's because I'm rad.
I think it is a valid point that when you get pregnant that does not mean you can eat anything you want. The rules of health still apply. Any extra pounds you gain only mean that many more to lose after the baby is born. I've had three kids. All three c-sections. And each time it has been a HUGE pain to lose all of the baby weight. But whether you've just had a baby or you are just over weight you still have to burn more calories than you consume to lose. I think it all comes down to diet. And exercise of course. But for me it's 95% what I eat.
ReplyDeleteI agree 100% with every single word of this except for the last few lines, but other than that...
ReplyDeleteI have several clients right now who have just been cleared to exercise after giving birth and their expectations are crazy. Fine. Heidi Klum had her 1,000th baby and she's thin. Great. However, it's perfectly normal to lose the baby weight at a slow pace.
What's scaring me now are the women who get pregnant, but they're DIETING and trying to lose weight. I could go on about the pressures women are under to be thin and pretty, but, I'd be here all night...
P.S. Bill Gates in a bikini = sexy
I don't know, I thought that Gisele quote was pretty funny.
ReplyDeleteFor me, I gained forty pounds, and the first 30 dropped off within about two and a half months. After that, I exercised to get the last 10 off, which took about three more months. It was pretty simple. I think what helped the initial weight to drop off so quickly though is I had an extremely low appetite for about three months post-partum. I've never been a big eater anyway, but I'm talking like, one meal a day sustained me for the first month. I think it was because *I* was actually getting all the nutrition again. Then even after that, I was probably eating about half the portion sizes that I normally do and I would get full. I kind of wish my appetite was still like that. Heh. But once the excess weight dropped off, my appetite went back to normal.
I tell my clients, "9 months on, minimum 9 months off" and to enjoy their new body. Those big, beautiful, breastfeeding boobies are fun! Another issue with weight loss is priority. Many mothers, including myself, get wrapped up in family and taking care of everyone except themselves. Once they reprioritize (sometimes years later), they find its more difficult than it was pre-kids to lose the weight. That's challenging for some moms. Most of my clients have issues with time. Everyone in this country is so friggin' busy! It's crazy. We need to reprioritize and get back to a slower pace. Our health deserves a good time slot!
ReplyDelete