(Part two of a two-part series. In part one, we took a look at whatherpes is, exactly, and how doctors treat it. Check that intel out here.)
Modern medicine is
great and all, but in an effort to keep your herpes in check, I think you can
do better than popping a pill and crossing your fingers (or your legs, in some
circumstances). Being pro-active will go a long way when it comes to dealing
with HSV. I suggest a three-pronged approach.
Prong One: Diet and
Supplements
HSV sits dormant in
your system, waiting for moments of weakness so it can attack. With this in
mind, it’s important to keep your immune
system in great shape. A healthy diet rich in leafy green veggies and other organic produce, as well as foods rich
in omega-3 fatty acids, is vital. It
should also include adequate protein
and B vitamins to help build white
blood cells. Keep refined sugars to a minimum. Dial up antioxidants such as vitamins A, C, and E, zinc, and selenium.
So, basically, a solid, balanced diet filled with fresh produce will work to
your advantage when fighting herpes (and it’ll keep you healthy in general).
As I mentioned in
part one, white blood cell called T-cells are especially important for fighting
viruses. T-cells are made in your thymus gland, so it’s especially important to
take care of it. There’s some research showing that supplementing thymus extractmay reduce the frequency and severity of herpes outbreaks. (Keep in mind that thymus
extract comes from cows, so it’s not suited for vegetarians or vegans.)
Personally, I
recommend eating plenty of carotenes
to boost your thymus gland. You’ll find this phytonutrient in orange-colored
produce such as carrots, sweet potatoes,
cantaloupe, and apricots, as well as most leafy greens.
If you’re looking to
supplement vitamins and minerals, a
couple of the aforementioned micronutrients that have been shown to be
especially effective against HSV are zinc,
which can inhibit outbreaks; and vitamin
C, which can increase healing rate. I’d recommend 25mg/day and 2000mg/day
respectively.
Probably the most
interesting facet of eating to avoid HSV outbreaks is the balance of the amino acids lysine and arginine. Arginine is non-essential
(meaning we don’t need to eat it because our bodies produce it) and it promotes
the replication of HSV. Lysine is essential (meaning we need it in our diet
because we don’t produce it) and has been shown to have antiviral qualities,
largely because it inhibits arginine metabolism. Therefore, a diet rich in lysine and low in arginine
is a good way to ward off those darn blisters. “Trigger foods” particularly
high in arginine and low in lysine include chocolate (sorry, kids), nuts,
seeds, coconut, and wheat.
Grains, in general,
tend to be high in arginine and low in lysine, so you might want to keep them
to a minimum. However, the best of the worst are amaranth and quinoa. Your best
sources for lysine are vegetables,
legumes, chicken, turkey, and fish. You can also supplement it at 1000mg/3
times a day.
Digging deeper into
hippy science, there’s research showing the immunity-boosting herb astragalus not only helps with herpes,
but it can have a synergistic effect when supplemented with oral antiviral
drugs. And it’s super-benign stuff, so it’s probably worth a shot. Try 1 to 1.5g
daily. (Zwickey et al., 2007).
On a final nutrition
note, a double-blind, placebo-controlled study showed that Croton lechleri, the sap of the Euphorbiaceae tree, commonly known
as Dragon’s blood, decreased the
pain of HSV-related lesions in HIV patients. This is something worth discussing
with your practitioner if you’re in this situation, especially considering your
potential to develop an anti-viral drug resistance.
Prong Two: Topical Preparations
There are a number
of natural topical treatments for HSV. In my research, the one that popped up
repeatedly as being effective was Melissa
officinalis, or lemon balm,
which should be applied 2-4 times a day. I found no research regarding lemon
balm’s use for genital herpes, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t be considered—except
maybe the sticky underpants thing, but life is full of compromises.
Other options
include Glycyrrhiza glabra, or licorice root, which has been shown to
be effective in both oral and genital HSV, topical
zinc, and topical resveratrol.
Try them
one-at-a-time. If you notice a difference, great! If not, try the next one.
Prong Three: Lifestyle Modifications
Finally, there’s the
matter of how you live your life. HSV is
incredibly stressful. The moment you feel that tingle, it’s hard not to
panic. But it’s important not to let stress rule your life. As I mentioned
earlier, I have found stress to be a huge trigger in outbreaks.
The link is obvious.
Stress can weaken your immune system. When your immune system is weakened, HSV
strikes. So find ways to relax. Meditate.
Get between 7 and 8 hours of sleep at
night. Give yourself days off. Exercise.
Some experts suggest avoiding the sun. Personally, as a surfer/cyclist/dog
owner, I spend a lot of time in the sun and I’ve never noticed detrimental
effects—and outdoor time is a major stress manager for me.
HSV stinks—but you
could have it a lot worse. While no one likes a Pollyanna, this is important
advice to remember. Be proactive with your diet, your stress level, and your
attitude. It’ll only make this annoyance all the less annoying.
Resources
Abascal, K., Yarnell, E. (2006). Croton
lechleri (Dragon’s Blood). In Pizzorno, J. & Murray, M. (Ed.), Textbook of Natural Medicine (pp.
887-891). St. Louis, MO: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier.
Gaby, A. (2006). Natural Remedies for Herpes simplex. Alternative Medicine Review, 11(2),
93-101.
Mateljan,
G. (2007). The World’s Healthiest Foods.
Seattle, WA. GMF Publishing.
Morfin, F., & Thouvenot, D. (2003). Herpes simplex virus resistance to
antiviral drugs. Journal of clinical virology : the official publication of
the Pan American Society for Clinical Virology, 26(1), 29-37.
Murray, M. (2000). Total Body
Tune-Up. New York, NY: Bantam Books.
Murray, M., Pizzorno, J. (2006). Herpes Simplex. In Pizzorno, J. &
Murray, M. (Ed.), Textbook of Natural
Medicine (pp. 1723-1726). St. Louis, MO: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier.
Parker, S. (2007). The Human Body
Book. New York, NY: DK Publishing.
Sainz, B., Loutsch, J. M., Marquart, M. E., & Hill, J. M. (2001).
Stress-associated immunomodulation and herpes simplex virus infections. Medical
hypotheses, 56(3), 348-356.
Stargrove, M., Treasure, J., McKee, D. (2008). Herb, Nutrient, and Drug Interactions. St. Louis, MO: Mosby
Elsevier.

Hi Denis. I've heard that some mushroom supplements have lots of medical benefits (even for HSV) but I hardly trust any sources unless I read them on your blog. Do you know anything about them?
ReplyDeleteAnon - when I was researching this, I found a study about the use of reishi mushrooms to manage herpes. I didn't really mention it because it seemed a little obscure.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18047445
That said, I'm a big mushroom advocate. Low calories, tons of nutrition, and holistic circles feel they have all kinds of medical benefits. I wouldn't completely look to them to solve all of the world's problems, but I see no harm in trying them out.
Hi Denis, thanks for the quick reply. I understand what you mean. I'm not really looking to solve any problems but I was simply wondering if it's worth taking them or if I would just be pissing my money away. The only thing I take is glucosamine because I know it works and even though I don't need it I'm sure I get benefits from it (I'm sure I read about it here or at the straight dope) I will try them out for awhile for sure though. Thanks for the info!
ReplyDeleteAs a marketer i just rolled into the herpes niche and i visited a few blogs already but i this is the best one i have found to this day. I already knew about arginine and lysine , stress but you went into a little bit deeper.
ReplyDeleteShould anyone just rely and a diet/changing lifestyle alone to battle herpes or combined with a treatment?
Kevin
http://www.abandonherpes.com
Kevin -
ReplyDeleteIf it works, sure, but I think that's a conversation someone needs to have with their doctor. And if they try it and it isn't working, I don't see the shame in using the meds. I'm not a huge meds fan, but these ones strike me as relatively benign.