Regular Nerd Herders might recall that 2011 was a real injury odyssey for me, the crescendo being surgury on my hip and shoulder spaced a couple months apart. I'm doing much better here in 2012, except for my elbow, where I'm on month 15 of a lateral epicondylitis jag. A couple of cortisone shots got me through the surgeries with a functioning arm, but other than that, nothing has helped.
What makes this injury really odd is that I don't play tennis or any other sport that really stresses the area. Furthermore, surgery forced me to take a looooooooong break from my regularly scheduled activities such as surfing, yoga, and general tomfoolery. Technically, that should have helped. Odds are, typing probably aggravates it, but homeboy ain't gonna stop keyboardin', so that'll need to be a workaround.
The medical community has thrown all kinds of theories at me, ranging from my physical therapist who feels it's a dodgy disk in my neck pinching nerves, to my orthopod who simply thinks it's a really shitty case of tennis elbow. Even my acupuncturist, who has an aptitude for working miracles, concedes that there's not much he can do about it.
But I've never been one to accept defeat. In fact, I except defeat. Where others will be defeated, I'll be the exception. (Anyone who slaps that on a t-shirt owes me 15%.) So today I'm trying something new and super groovy. It's called platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy. While the Giant Baby Man in me isn't looking forward to having a couple more needles poked in my arm, the Fitness Nerd in me is stoked to be taking part in some cutting edge science.
PRP therapy has been around since the nineties, but has only recently come into vogue for sports-related injuries, with folks like Tiger Woods looking to it as a solution. The idea is that they draw some of your blood and stir it up to activate the platelet-rich plasma, separate it from the rest of the blood, then inject it back into the injured area. Platelets are clear cell fragments that promote healing and growth. Dr. Dennis Cardone explained the benefit of this to Scientific American:
Theoretically, many of the athletes may have a type of tendonitis, [such as] Achilles tendonitis or, say, patellar tendonitis in the knee or tennis elbow. Many of these tendon injuries become chronic, and involve microscopic tearing of the tendon and formation of scar tissue. A reason why it's difficult to heal these tendon injuries is related to poor blood supply to the region. The perfect example would be the Achilles. It's a tendon with, in general, a poor blood supply, so when there are these microscopic tears or chronic scarring, the body has a difficult time healing it. The theory is that the body can't on its own get enough of these healing or growth factors to the area, but now this concentrated platelet injected there just enhances the nutrients and growth factors to allow the body to heal it.See? Sounds rad, huh? As that article details, there's a dearth of credible research for PRP therapy, but there's a ton of anecdotal evidence supporting it and ultimately, you're just injecting yourself with your own blood, which is infinitely more benign then surgery or loading up on xenobiotics. IMHO, it's worth a try. In an industry where pharmaceuticals are becoming increasing popular despite growing evidence of how problematic they can be, it's refreshing to see Western medicine pushing something like this. I almost feel like I'm taking a moral stand by trying it.
The only downside is that, because it's such a new therapy, insurance companies don't support it, so I'm shelling out $500. Normally, I'm not much of a gambling man. As I mentioned earlier, if it is indeed my spine that's the problem and not the actual tendon, I'm basically betting on a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest, but whatever. After 15 months of wincing in pain every time I itch my nose, I'm ready to put my money on Long John Silver. He seems pretty bad-ass to me.
I'll keep you posted.

"I'm basically betting on a one-legged man in a butt-kicking contest" Brilliant line and quite possibly the best thing I've heard today. Fingers crossed for a successful treatment Denis, looking forward to hearing post procedure verdict
ReplyDeleteAs someone who suffered from this form of tendonitus for over 6 months and have a friend who has not recovered after years of trying different things (sorry to drop that one on you), I'd like to pass on what I've learned. We both got our inflammation from rock climbing like idiots, i.e. poorly but tenaciously and frequently. Hers was medial, mine: lateral. I am inclined to treat non life threatening maladies by throwing the kitchen sink at them. Not literally. I mean, I do everything I can think of, all at the same time. So: I did ultrasound therapy, stretching, icing, resting and changing my climbing technique. Something or the combo of the first 4 things got the inflammation down and then the last thing has prevented it from coming back. My friend on the other hand didn't get anywhere AND works long hours on a laptop keyboard. I'm convinced, I'm convinced laptops have no ergonomic relationship to human keyboarding or mousing needs: they are narrow, they force your hands/wrists into an unnatural position, and if it is your livelihood, you are essentially aggravating your joints all day. She has not recovered and has tried the platelet therapy. There is annecdotal evidence that it works for tendonitus and she thought it did a bit. She did it a second time with hopes she could finally kick the inflammation for good. But it hasn't worked. I firmly believe now she has scar tissue from years of inflammation. The only thing I've heard that will help that (short of changing your vocation/activities) is a deep tissue massage that is aimed at breaking/stretching the scar tissue so that whenever you do something that would normally trigger the inflammation, you aren't actually yanking on the tendons.
DeleteBest of luck. Love the blog.
I agree about the laptop - buying an external keyboard would be a quick fix for your friend.
DeleteHave you looked at doing eccentric exercises that bother it just a little bit? I've had some issues with medial epicondylitis (due to rock climbing), and have had luck with wrist curls, but eccentric only, lifting the weight with your other hand. Basically, you find what position hurts it the most, then do eccentric-only exercises through that range of motion, loading it so that it hurts just a bit. Julian Saunders has written some about this for Rock and Ice, and Dave MacLeod has some info on his websites.
ReplyDeleteI know all about that eccentric business. Thanks for bringing it up. Here's the study I based my attempts at it around:
ReplyDeletehttp://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/
Hello, so did PRP work for you? I've spend the last year dealing with a hip labrum tear and golfer's elbow. Just had hip surgery, and not really wanting to get elbow surgery just yet. I've tried two course of PT for my elbow, rest, etc. At the one year mark my ortho recommended either try PRP or have surgery. I can't see much evidence that PRP actually works and I'm wondering if I should just save the $1,000 out of pocket expense and get the surgery over with. Thanks, Steve
ReplyDelete