There's a really thorough article over at WebMD today dissecting current wisdom diet sodas cause weight gain.I like to consider myself the Clown Prince of Tearing Down Scientific Research, so I enjoyed this article. But for the record, while these studies don't conclusively prove that artificial sweeteners trigger weight gain, they don't prove that they don't trigger weight gain either. And if you shellack the whole debate with a patina of common sense, you can see some obvious problems with diet sodas, no fat rats needed.
Towards the end of the article (a bit too much towards the end, in my opinion), they discuss the "Big Mac and Diet Coke" mentality, where people seem to think they can eat more crap because they're not drinking their calories. In my mind, this is like saying it's okay to jam a fork through your eye because you didn't stab yourself in the ear with a knife, but I clearly don't think like most people.
Secondly, there's what the article called the "Sweet Tooth Hypothesis."
“We refer to a ‘sweet tooth,’ not a ‘sugar tooth,’ “ Katz says. “I think that is absolutely right. Our taste buds don’t really differentiate between sweet in sugar and sweet from, say, aspartame. The evidence that this sweet taste is addictive is pretty clear.”
His theoretical concerns are bolstered by 20 years of real-world experience with his patients.
I personally, have noticed this in my life. As an overweight, Diet Coke-chugging twenty-something, in the rare event that I ate fresh fruit, it would be common place for me to add sugar to it. Now, that would make me sick. Sure, I still eat sweets, but whereas I used to be able to polish off a pint of Ben and Jerry's in 5 minutes, sans brain freeze. Today, anything more than a single scoop and I'm queasy for hours. I think this has a lot to do with the drastic reduction in all added sweeteners in my life, including diet soda. Yes, I have the odd TAB, but it's a rare event.
I know what you're saying. "I'm different. I can handle diet sodas and keep my sweet tooth in check." Maybe that's true, but apparently the guy next to you can't. We're a fat, Diet Coke drinkin' country and we're only getting fatter, so maybe you and I should lead by example and can the can. It's not like it's benefiting you in anyway whatsoever.
They still make TAB? I think artificial sweetners do dull the taste buds to natural sweetness. I think reprogramming out taste buds to appreciate subtle flavors of natural foods is an important part of a healthy life style.
ReplyDelete"In my mind, this is a like saying it's okay to jam a fork through your eye because you didn't stab yourself in the ear with a knife, but I clearly don't think like most people."
ReplyDeleteBest sentence EVER! I have turned away from pop, diet or otherwise just because I didn't want to 1. put unneeded calories into my body in the form of sugar and 2. put some chemical into my body that may taste sweet. I'd rather have a cup of water than pop and I've been trying to get my kids to go the same route! Thanks for a great blog.
Diet Coke is the devil
ReplyDeleteThere is no scientific evidence that "fake sugars" are better for you than real sugar. So right now people are gambling on them being either better, the same, or worse for you in the long run. I don't ever drink soda, as it is just an excuse to market large amounts of HFCS now, and water is the best thing ever after a good workout. I drink V8 fusions in my smoothies to get a little variety. Personally, I get stomach aches now if I have any soda or sugars. I hate sugar as much as I hate the grain industry, and that's a lot just so you know.
ReplyDeleteP.S. Don't shovel "juice" into yourself or kids either "adults". That shit is worse than soda. Grab a Sunny D !!! No, grab a soda if that is the only other option. Or just drink water like our bodies were intended to do. The Earth is full of it, don't see any soda ponds sitting around anywhere but your fat belly.
ReplyDeleteWhy it's plain as the pimple on my face... Artificial sweeteners cause artificial weight gain! ;)
ReplyDelete