
This week, Brazil's Minister of Health Jose Gomes Temporao raised eyebrows - and potentially a few other body parts - by suggesting that Brazilians needed to fight the country's rising obesity issue by having more sex. "It's not a joke, I'm serious. Getting physical exercise regularly also means having sex, obviously protected sex," Temporao said, imploring his people to dance the horizontal samba at least five times a week.
If your domestic situation is anything like mine, your initial reaction is, "Easy for you to say, jackass." After that, you might start to question if multiple, weekly bada-bings would really provide that much cardiovascular benefit. ABC News asked the question and this is what they got:
"You're not going to get the same [physical health] benefit as going out for a two-mile jog," said Dr. Jamie Feldman, an associate professor at the University of Minnesota Department of Family Medicine and Community Health.
"Sexual activity provides some degree of modest exercise," said Feldman, who added that every little bit of activity counts. "But it's not the same as getting moderate exercise for 30 minutes a day."
Of course, Feldman wasn't considering, ahem, the way I take care of business when making this assertion, but still, it probably holds true for most people. And while sex has an assortment of other physiological, intellectual and emotional benefits, it's pretty silly for a government talking head to come out with a suggestion like this for the simple reason that if you're in a relationship where you're having sex to fulfill your need for exercise, that's one messed-up relationship.
Of course, Temporao's mention of a condom suggests that perhaps he wasn't thinking in a relationship context. Oh, those smutty Brazilians! First the thong, then the Lambada, and now this! Disgusting!
If you'll excuse me now, I have to call my travel agent.
I thought Brazil was one of the fittest countries in the world? Guess I just assumed that since I only see the hot people from there.
ReplyDeleteAnd all I have to say about sex as exercise is if it worked that well my boyfriend would be in very good shape. But he is not.