
At least a couple of my lady neighbors drink Diet Pepsi first thing in the morning. If I ask them about it, they gesture to the cup o' joe I'm sporting and say, "It's no worse than coffee, fool!" These happen to be very self-assured, assertive women so I usually just bow my head and walk away, humbled and shamed. But thanks to a couple new studies, next time they're gonna get this:
"HOOOOONK!! Wrong answer, ladies!"
Then I'll throw down some science. A new study presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Nephrology shows that woman who drink two or more diet sodas a day had a 30% drop in kidney function. From WebMD:
When the researchers compared kidney function of the women in 1989 and 2000, they found that 11.4% or 372 women had a kidney function decline of 30% or more. When they looked at the diet information, they found that the 30% decline in kidney function was associated with drinking two or more artificially sweetened sodas a day. This was true even after taking into account factors such as age, high blood pressure, diabetes, and physical activity.
Why this is happening is still unclear, but now that it's been identified, I'm sure they'll figure it out. Like I always say, if you can't trust a nephrologist to find the answer, who can you trust?
But wait, there's more! Another study out of Sweden shows that women who drink two or more cups of coffee a day reduce their risk of endometrial cancer. From Reuters:
After that, I'll hold my mug aloft and announce that not only are my kidneys healthier, so is my uterus! Then they'll point out that I'm a guy, therefore I have no uterus.
And again with the humbling and the shaming and the bowing of the head. I can't win.
The endometrium is part of the uterus, sooooo... your uterus (if you had one) would be healthier, not your ovaries. :) Interesting stuff!
ReplyDeleteD'oh! I meant to say that! Seriously!
ReplyDeleteSoda in the morning? Gag me.
ReplyDeleteDo you think those benefits from the coffee are still in affect if I add lots of sugar and fat to my coffee? 'Cause Lord knows I can't drink it unless the drink is at least 300 calories.
As long as by "fat" you mean lard or tallow, that's fine.
ReplyDeleteLove this post! I have just recently given up my diet coke. It has been soooo hard! I can't even begin to explain. However, I am already noticing that I can get to sleep better at night and I have an easier time getting up the next morning. Imagine that.
ReplyDelete